Contradictions...


30 November 2015

We live in strange times and we live in a world of contradictions.

On the one hand we have world leaders at an UN climate conference in Paris aiming to limit global warming, Tiger Woods who says he has 'nothing to look forward to' or an uproar about King Filip of the Belgians who was photographed sipping a cocktail at a French spa while Brussels was in the grip of the recent terror alert.

Global warming on its own way is not less important, but sometimes I wonder what the heck is going on with the people who run this world.

Because on the other hand, a few thousand kilometres away, people are fighting for their own life and the lives of family members. People who live in gigantic fear.
Today M. was one of four Syrian aid workers with who I had an appointment for a therapy session. I tried to help each aid worker as much as I could and we also spoke about the future. Their futures.

M. is an attorney and specializes in Civil Law. He was incarcerated by ISIS for assisting refugees. Not only did the war destroy his relationship, his home and his career, but it also destroyed a part of him.

During his session, I realized how incredibly brave M. is. While talking about the future, it became clear his only desire is to move back to the country which brought him so much heartache. He told me about his plans to help rebuild Syria and get his own life back on track. This courageous man moved me deeply.

Today our intervention team welcomed a new member: Olga. Her arrival has given me hope for the aid workers we’ve the privilege working with. When I leave for the Netherlands in a few days’ time, I can rest assured knowing others will continue caring for the aid workers as well. At the moment our intervention team is six men strong: Johara, Maha, Salwa, Olga, Paul and myself.

I am doing fine. Besides caring for traumatized aid workers, we evaluate daily and we keep a close eye on each other.

Adlai Stevenson, American politician and statesman, was quoted saying: "Making peace is harder than making war". I wholeheartedly agree. Peace starts with caring for others, as aid workers do. With the collective power of actions by people like them, people who want to change the world, we will get there.

1 opmerking:

  1. Beste Geert, wens Olga ook heel veel sterkte met het zware werk daar. Ik hoop dat het daar snel vrede zal zijn. Wat betreft jou inzet zal het daar niet aan liggen.
    Wij blijven jullie op de voet volgen.
    Pas goed op elkaar....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen