The horrors of war



24 November 2015

After my journey to Turkey, only encountering some delay in Istanbul, I have settled in quite nicely.  The journey was easier than I expected and already  far more rewarding than I imagined. Gaziantep has a population of about 2,000,000 people, half of which are Syrians. One-by-one helpful residents who simply want to be kind. The city of Gaziantep is  situated some 97 kilometres north of Aleppo, but I don’t notice much of the war in Syria. Besides a large police presence on the highways  and tight security at shopping malls, hotels and public places the war might as well be in a country far away from here. So I feel safe and protected.

Many and most stories of the Syrian Civil War will never be told. A relaxed smoke break however turned instantly into a surreal moment when a  Syrian aid worker spontaneously started telling me about his detention by ISIS for several months.  Outside on a small balcony this young man gave me the full picture of the awfulness of war. Some things he experienced and saw, he will never forget. He was grateful for me being there, and I am grateful for being able to help him and so many others devastated by the horrors of war.

Momentarily my thoughts are occupied with what the intervention team and I have to expect,  and how we can help as many people such as the young Syrian I spoke to on that balcony, in a relatively short period of time. I am a trained trauma psychologist and so many people desperately need our help.  I am going to do the best I can. Our team consists of an Australian psychologist, two Arabic speaking crisis interventionists from Lebanon and Jordan, a mission leader and myself.  Most of us speak English however, so we get by. The last few days our team has been busy with intake interviews, safety briefings and setting up a plan of action.

After the initial intake interviews I expect many of the traumatised aid workers we spoke to want to be treated. Despite my heavy workload and responsibilities back at home in the Netherlands, it feels good to be here and to do my bit in a place which left, and will still leave, so many scarred for life.  

1 opmerking: